Thursday 10 May 2012

1/2 way done the chemotherapy!

We are now half way through Bella's chemotherapy. She is on a combination treatment of Doxorubicin and Cisplatin. She has had two doses of the Doxorubicin and one of the Cisplatin.

After her first dose of the Doxorubicin she developed Neutropenia (a nasty blood side-effect of chemotherapy) and colitis. Shortly after that she went ataxic (back end became paralyzed) due to her epilepsy meds, which had increased from her chemotherapy and change in diet.

It took a few weeks but with the help of her medical oncologist and neurologist we were able to get her back on track. Now she is doing better then ever. She is enjoying swiming, long walks and fetching. I would say she is doing better then she was a year ago.

The other day we were out for her walk and I thought she had gone off to see a bird but she tricked me and went and laid in a mud puddle. She knows this will guarantee her a swim in the creek. Saucy, independant Bella is back!

She truly amazes me on a daily basis. There is not a day I regret paying the price (both time and money) for her amputation and chemotherapy. She is loving life and I am loving watching her!


This picture was taken after her third round of chemotherapy!

1 comment:

  1. That's beautiful Leah.......truly an inspiration! I hope to meet Bella some day! What a strong girl!

    ReplyDelete